Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   120 Witherspoon Street

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

120 Witherspoon Street

Current Name

Address

120 Witherspoon Street

Tax Parcel

1114_17.02_53

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

2

Style

Italianate

Number of Stories

2

Material

Wood

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

12/8/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

Mid block on the west side of Witherspoon Street across from Princeton Cemetery. The driveway on the north side leads to a large one story garage complex for this building and its neighbor to the south. The house is directly south of the Witherspoon Street Presbyterian Church.

Description

Two story shallow pitch gabled residence with the ridge parallel to the street. The three bay main block has a hip roof full width porch with ornamental bracketed wood posts and railings. The front door is situated in the south bay; it is a 6-paneled unit opening under a transom. The windows are large 1x1 replacement units on both floors. The house's frame walls are clad with machined shingles. There is a bracketed cornice across the front and gable rakes that ends in returns on the end walls; the brackets are jigsaw-cut units with an intricate design. The south facade features a rectangular oriel bay that overhangs the first floor and is aligned with the main (east) elevation; it features highly decorative console brackets below the overhang that include two pendants and inset decorative motifs. The end gabled roof is clad with asphalt shingles and features a small square brick chimney near the northwest corner. The house has a stuccoed foundation with horizontal basement windows. A 2-story, 2-bay shallow roof addition with an intersecting ridge extends from the rear of the main block and extends to the west; on its south elevation is a 1-story shed addition in the void. The two rear additions feature asphalt shingles on the roof, machined shingled walls, and a stone foundation.

An L-shaped shed/garage is located in the rear of the lot. It has asphalt shingles on its roof and stucco and frame walls. Large overhead garage doors are located on the western section of the building, facing the house.


HISTORY

Built

1850

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1850. It appears on the historic map of 1852 and all succeeding maps and atlases.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
East and north elevation


2015 Photo
East (main) elevation


2015 Photo
East and south elevations


2015 Photo
Garage: east elevation


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.