Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   144-146 Witherspoon Street

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

144-146 Witherspoon Street

Current Name

Address

144-146 Witherspoon Street

Tax Parcel

1114_17.03_85.01

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

2

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Stucco

Historic Function

Commerce

Current Function

Commerce

Last Entry Update

12/1/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

Mid block residential and commercial properties on the west side of Witherspoon St. facing the Princeton Cemetery. Witherspoon Street has a tree-lined sidewalk on both sides in this location.

Description

The residence at 144 is a two story, 3 bay structure on a raised foundation. An areaway stair on the left side leads to a basement entrance door with an adjoining window. A central stair rises to a flat roof bracketed cornice porch with two ornamental posts. The door occupies the center bay of the three bay gabled house with the ridge parallel to the street. The one over one replacement windows on both floors sit within the original brick moulding openings. There is a small brick chimney centered on the north (right) gable end. 146 is a small one story flat roofed commercial building with a three part show window shop entrance. A splayed stair leads to the recessed door between the large plate glass shop windows.

Also on the property is a 1-story commercial building. It has a low- pitched roof hidden behind a full parapet. The walls are stuccoed. On the main (east) elevation, a set of graduated length steps leads up between display windows to the main entrance.


HISTORY

Built

1870

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1870. The map of 1852 shows a vacant lot in this location. The house first appears on the map of 1875 and appears on all subsequent maps and atlases.

The smaller building served as a barber shop. Claude Mack opened "Mack's Sanitary Barber Shop" in 1935 and operated it until his death in 1966. His nephew William "Billy" Mack then operated the barber shop for five years. Another nephew, James Mack, worked here before opening his own barber shop on John Street.

Sources

HPC information


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
144 Witherspoon Street: east (main) elevation


2015 Photo
144 Witherspoon Street: east elevation


2015 Photo
146 Witherspoon Street: east (main) elevation


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.