Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   181 Witherspoon Street

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

181 Witherspoon Street

Current Name

Address

181 Witherspoon Street

Tax Parcel

1114_21.01_15

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Noncontributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Stucco

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

12/10/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

Mid block on the east side of Witherspoon Street just south of the access parcel to the Princeton Cemetery.

Description

This property contains a 2-story residence that originally looked like its neighbor to the south (though the appearance of both has been altered somewhat). The end-gabled roof includes a cross-gable aligned with the north end wall, creating an L-shaped ridge system. The roof is clad with asphalt shingles and features a small brick chimney near the intersection of the ridges. The wall surface is stuccoed, with some applied trim suggesting half timbering in the front gable but also extending across the main elevation at the second floor level. Fenestration consists of replacement 1x1 double hung sash windows. The main (west) elevation features a small attic window in the front gable between exposed, angled timbering. The second floor exhibits four windows. On the first floor, a replacement door in the center bay opens below a 3-light transom. North of the door are two windows below the front gable; south of the door is a filled-in porch with large plate glass windows. The house has a stuccoed foundation. The end walls feature two ranks of windows. On the rear of the building is a 2-story addition.

In the rear of the lot is a 2-bay garage. It features a front end gabled orientation, stuccoed walls, and two overhead garage doors with inset lights at the top.


HISTORY

Built

1897

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

C. 1897 house first shows up on 1898 map but does not appear on 1895 Sanborn map. By 1902 many additional lots and houses were built to the south.

Sources

Historic maps.


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
West (main) elevation


2015 Photo
West and north elevations


2015 Photo
Garage: west elevation


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.