Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   125 John Street

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

125 John Street

Current Name

Address

125 John Street

Tax Parcel

1114_17.02_43

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Vinyl

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/13/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

Mid block on the east side of John Street between Green and Quarry Streets, driveway and curb cut along the south side of the building (to rear garage). Shade trees in 10' area between curb and sidewalk.

Description

The two story vinyl sided rectangular residence has its asphalt shingled gable end facing the street. A hip roof porch spans across the front with the transomed front door on the left and to large one over one windows to the right. The porch has turned posts and a plain vertical picket wood railing. There are two windows below a smaller unit in the gable end. The windows are one over one replacement units with vinyl shutters. Door appears original, having two long lights. The south facade has three windows below four on the second floor. The north facade has a single second floor window. There is a small square chimney at the mid point of the ridge.

Two story frame garage possible carriage house left of house at rear of lot. (May be on adjacent property #131).


HISTORY

Built

1880

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

Building constructed between 1875 and 1890, according to maps. Garage was built c. 1900, according to maps. Dr. Henry Austin lived in this house in the 1920s. When he was prevented from practicing in Princeton, he moved to Trenton and opened health centers that survive to this day. After moving to trenton, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Ball moved into this house. Mr. Ball started a small store on the side of the home in 1929. The children would leave Witherspoon School and go around the corner to Mr. Ball’s store to get penny candy, big dill pickles from the barrel, ice cream cones and many other snacks. Mr. Ball’s store served the Witherspoon- Jackson community for many years through the 1960’s.

Sources

Borough maps and Sanborn atlases; website http://hsofp.toursphere.com/en/5-dr-austin-houseballs-candy-store-62753.html.


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
West and south elevations


2015 Photo
West and north elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.