Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   227 John Street

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

227 John Street

Current Name

Address

227 John Street

Tax Parcel

1114_15.02_94

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Vinyl

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/18/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

East side of John Street between Clay and Lytle Streets adjacent to a community playground (#227). The houses have a minimal setback from the sidewalk.

Description

This vinyl clad multifamily residence is two separate buildings 229 (north) and 227 (south) joined together. The taller north part is a two bay gabled block abutting a lower three bay portion also gabled with the ridge parallel to the street. Both parts sit on a raised foundation with a common first floor height denoted by the full width porch approached by wood stairs at either end. Everything below the shed roof appears to be replacement construction, including the square posts and framing members. All of the windows are six over one replacement units. They are all the same size on the southern (right) three bay portion with an entrance door directly below the left hand window and one other first floor unit not aligned. On the left side, the second floor windows are different sizes, the larger on the left side. There are paired units to the left of the other front door to the residence. There is a two bay shed roof extension the same depth as the front block across the entire rear. The four first floor windows on the south facade are evenly spaced front to back, and there are two second floor units in the extension. The north gable end elevation has four windows, two over two, and the extension has three, one over two.


HISTORY

Built

1905

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

Property appears on 1906 but not the 1902 map thus c. 1905 estimate.

This house was the long-time residence of Albert Edward Hinds (1902- 2006), a highly regarded member of the African American community in Princeton; the plaza adjacent to the Princeton Public Library was named in his honor. Mr. Hinds had several occupations through his long life. In his early years, he served on the team of workers who paved Nassau Street through Princeton. He also shined shoes, delivered milk, drove a horse-drawn taxi, and worked for University professors. Later in his life, Mr. Hinds mentored students, served on the Princeton Planning Board, served on the board of the Historical Society of Princeton, and taught bridge to senior citizens.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.