Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   Baldino's Grocery

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

Baldino's Grocery

Current Name

Address

48 Leigh Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6906_25

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

1

Material

Stucco

Historic Function

Commerce

Current Function

Commerce

Last Entry Update

11/12/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

SW corner of Leigh Avenue and John Street in commercial intersection. building set back on wide sidewalk and cement apron, both sides of street. Trees along Leigh Ave. provide shade.

Description

One story flat roofed commercial building with several shops. The long axis of the rectangular footprint is parallel to Leigh Avenue. Building is composed of two sections. The east section appears to be recently rehabilitated building with stucco walls, large commercial style replacement windows, and replacement door facing Leigh at NE corner. Italianate style roof eave is molded with paired brackets.

West unit is a light frame, nondescript building with new bay window, recessed door, and second door and new window all facing Leigh.


HISTORY

Built

1925

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

Former site of Baldino's Grocery. Building first appears on map in 1927 (Sanborn) and confirmed on 1930 Franklin map. Not indicated on 1918 map.

Sources

1918 Sanborn map; Franklin Survey Map, 1930


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
East and north elevations, facing southwest.


2015 Photo
North elevation


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.