Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   246 John Street

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

246 John Street

Current Name

Address

246 John Street

Tax Parcel

1114_15.04_76

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Brick

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/11/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

Eight unit mid-block setting on the west side of John Street just north of the intersection of Clay Street on the other side. The two forward facing gabled units (242 & 256) are on the setback line and the center six units are setback slightly further. There is a driveway on each side, and the area behind the northern four units is mostly paved for common parking.

Description

This two story eight unit block of residences is bookended by slightly projecting gabbled pavilions for the northern and southernmost units (#242 & 256). The basic building footprint is a long north/south rectangle with a gabled roof with the projecting end pavilions with their intersecting gables. The are eight brick chimneys, four on the front slope, four on the rear at every other party wall between pairs of units. The projecting rakes on the end pavilions are supported by knee brace brackets at the bases of the slopes. Beneath the single one over one window in a shallow segmental arched opening in the brick facade there is another taller one over one window next to the front door under an exposed frame gabled roof on two square posts on a raised porch with wood steps. The six center units share a common facade plane and are expressed as three pairs of mirror matched units. Each is two bays sharing a center shed roof porch on bracketed framing similar to the end units. There is a common broad wood stair with metal railings on both sides and center. The windows are the same combination of shorter over taller in segmental arched openings aligned top and bottom with the doors and matched windows above being closer together. The roof overhangs on the north and south gable ends have knee brace brackets at the bases of the slopes. The gable end facades have four symmetrically disposed typical windows. The rear facades of each unit also have four openings, two windows above a window and a door. The three southernmost units (#'s 242, 244, and 246) have rear one and two story shed roof additions of varying depths.


HISTORY

Built

1910

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The block of buildings was constructed c. 1910. Historic maps show a vacant lot in this location as late as the Sanborn Atlas of 1906. The block appears on the Sanborn Atlas of 1911 and all subsequent atlases and aerials.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.