Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   240 John Street

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

240 John Street

Current Name

Address

240 John Street

Tax Parcel

1114_15.04_74

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Bungalow

Number of Stories

2

Material

Stucco

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/11/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

This property is located on the west side of John Street opposite the western terminus of Clay Street. John Street is a residential street, with tree-lined sidewalks on both sides. A narrow front lawn is located off the sidewalk on the west side, in front of the historic houses. The property drive runs along the north boundary of the property to provide off-street parking.

Description

The property contains a 1.5-story Bungalow with a 2-part rear addition. The key features of the core are its dormer and asymmetrical gable. The core has an end-gabled roof facing east to John Street. The roof is clad with asphalt shingles and features wood eaves. The front dormer has a shed roof, stuccoed walls, and two sets of paired 1x1 windows with wood surrounds. The walls of the house are stuccoed. Windows are replacement 1x1 double hung sash units with an unbalanced arrangement over the wall surface. On the main (east) elevation, the south half of the first floor is an enclosed porch with three windows. In the northeast corner is an incised porch with a replacement door opening below a lip lintel. A corner post supports the corner of the upper level, and a frame set of stairs leads down to the lawn.

The end walls of the house differ widely but provide the clearest view of the asymmetrical gable. The north end has two windows on the second floor, aligned over a rectangular bay with a shed roof and two windows. The south end has a single second floor window and two first floor windows. A horizontal basement window is located in the stucco clad foundation.

The rear addition is a full-length section. It has the same cladding materials as the core: asphalt shingled roof, stuccoed walls, and a stucco clad foundation. Windows are replacement units, also with lip lintels. A small brick chimney is located n the northwest corner of the section. The north elevation has a single rank of windows. The south wall features a second story overhang; a centered window is located on the overhang.


HISTORY

Built

1925

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1925. Historic maps as late as the Sanborn atlas of 1918 show a vacant lot in this location. The house first appears on the Franklin Survey map of 1930 and appears on all subsequent historic maps and aerials.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.