Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   212 John St

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

212 John St

Current Name

Address

212 John St

Tax Parcel

1114_15.04_6

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Italianate

Number of Stories

2

Material

Stucco

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/11/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

This property is located on the west side of John Street opposite the western terminus of Lytle Street. John Street is a residential street, with tree-lined sidewalks on both sides. A narrow front lawn is located off the sidewalk on the west side, in front of the historic houses. The front lawn of the property is defined by a patterned brick wall that includes a small gate in front of the house and a larger gate for cars driving south of the house to the garage in the rear of the lot.

Description

The property contains a 2-story house with a 2-story rear addition. The key feature of the core is its balcony on the east elevation. The core has an end-gabled roof facing east to John Street. The roof is clad with asphalt shingles and features aluminum eaves. The walls are stuccoed. Windows are replacement unit with simulated divided lights; they are aligned vertically on the two main floor levels but are not symmetrically spaced. On the main (east) elevation, the second floor has a replacement door in the offset center bay that opens onto the balcony above the front porch; the balcony has a light iron railing. The first floor has a replacement door near the northeast corner with two windows to the south. Four banded square posts support the balcony to shade the first floor. A set of concrete steps leads down from the grade of the porch to the lawn, with a concrete walk continuing to the gate through the brick wall.

The south end of the core features two second floor windows, one first floor window, and a horizontal basement window in the stucco clad foundation. The north end features no windows on the main floors but a square basement window.

The rear addition is a full-length section that extends the house to the west. It has a gabled roof clad with asphalt shingles and a small brick chimney at the west end of the ridge. The walls are stuccoed. Fenestration consists of replacement 1x1 double hung sash windows, arranged in three bays on the north wall and five on the south wall. Some windows on the south wall are paired, with a segmental arch above the paired unit. A small gabled hood protects a rear entrance located atop a small brick stoop. The section has several horizontal basement windows in the concrete foundation.

The garage is a 1-story, 1-bay building in the rear of the lot. It has a pyramidal roof and a wide bay facing east.


HISTORY

Built

1893

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1893. Historic maps as late as the map of 1890 show a vacant lot in this location. The house first appears on the map of 1895 and appears on all subsequent historic maps and aerials.

Sources

Map, Sanborn atlas.


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.