Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   200 John Street

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

200 John Street

Current Name

Address

200 John Street

Tax Parcel

1114_15.04_3

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Italianate

Number of Stories

2

Material

Vinyl

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/11/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

This property is located on the west side of John Street in the middle of the block between the intersections with Maclean and Lytle Streets. John Street is a residential street, with tree-lined sidewalks on both sides. A narrow front lawn is located off the sidewalk on the west side, in front of the historic houses. A narrow gravel drive along the northern boundary of the property leads through a porte-cochere for off-street parking.

Description

The house on the property is a 2-story building with Italianate details. The core faces east onto John Street and features a 2-story rear addition. Key features of the house include its wood cladding, small chimney, brackets, and window/door surrounds. The core has an end-gabled roof clad with asphalt shingles with a small brick chimney near the south end of the ridge. The eaves are wood and incorporate an interior gutter system. The brackets are scroll-type consoles installed in pairs below the eaves. The frame building is clad with wood siding on the main (east) elevation and machined shingles on the north and south end walls. Fenestration is mostly replacement 1x1 double hung sash units, arranged mostly symmetrically. Windows on the east and south elevations feature a lip lintel typical of the Italianate style; those on the east elevation also feature inoperable louvered shutters. The door is located in the north bay of the first floor. The door itself is a replacement unit, but its thick molded surround appears original to the house. The machine shingle-clad end walls feature louvered attic windows centered below the peak of the gable. The north end of the house is the location of the porte-cochere, a hipped roof element that provides an attached carport; the north end wall of the core does not have a door connecting ot the porte-cochere. The south end features a single rank of windows near the southeast corner. The core has a stucco over stone foundation.

The rear addition is a full-length section. It has a similar cornice to the core, including the paired brackets. Windows are 1x1 replacement units, arranged symmetrically on the machine shingled walls.


HISTORY

Built

1880

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1880. Historic maps as late as the map of 1875 show a vacant lot in this location. The house first appears on the map of 1890 and appears on all subsequent historic aerials.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.