Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   194 John Street

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

194 John Street

Current Name

Address

194 John Street

Tax Parcel

1114_15.04_96

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Stucco

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/11/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

This property is located on the west side of John Street between the intersections with Maclean and Lytle Streets. John Street is a residential street, with tree-lined sidewalks on both sides. A narrow front lawn is located off the sidewalk on the west side, in front of the historic houses. Narrow gravel drives line the northern and southern boundaries of the property for off-street parking.

Description

The house on the property is a 2-story vernacular building facing east onto John Street, with a 2-story rear addition. The building consists of an end-gabled core facing onto John Street and a 2-story shed-roofed rear addition. Both sections have asphalt shingles on the roof and stuccoed walls. A small stuccoed chimney on the south end is located on the ridge. All windows are replacement 1x1 double hung sash units with wide surrounds. On the main (east) elevation, windows are not symmetrically spaced, although they are aligned vertically and horizontally. A replacement door in the north bay is a replacement unit opening below a single light transom. The front porch is a hipped roof element with four thin columns attached by a light railing. The end wall of the core has a single rank of windows on each end. The foundation of the core is stone. The rear addition has 1x1 double hung sash windows, arranged asymmetrically. Some windows on the rear addition are paired. The rear section has a concrete foundation.


HISTORY

Built

1920

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1920. Historic maps as late as the Sanborn atlas of 1918 show a vacant lot in this location. The house first appears on the Franklin Survey Atlas of 1930 and appears on all subsequent historic aerials.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.