Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   190 John St

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

190 John St

Current Name

Address

190 John St

Tax Parcel

1114_15.04_1

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Wood

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/11/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

This lot is on the west side of John Street opposite MacLean Street. This is one of the few properties in the Witherspoon-Jackson neighborhood with a large front yard, fully landscaped with trees and shrubs. The house is oriented east and sits approx. 30 feet from the curb.

Description

This property contains a frame, 2-story, 4-bay residence with an end- gabled, asphalt shingled roof and a large two story rear addition. The house, though vernacular, has Greek Revival elements at its roof line: slightly overhanging eaves under flatted roof along cornice line, molded cornice, and decorative scroll-sawn wooden brackets. This is a key element of the house, in addition to what may be an original half glazed door and 6x6sash windows. A single stucco clad chimney is centered on the roofline; a second chimney is off-center on the south gable end. It features a large, half-shouldered, banded brick chimney that pierces the crest. The walls are entirely clad in wood shingles, rare for W-J. Fenestration is somewhat symmetrical. It consists of 4, 6x6 openings across the 2nd floor; and 4 openings on the 1st floor with flanking, 1x1 windows aligned with the flanking windows above, and a door and window near the center. The location of the centered openings indicates this house was probably a twin when built; the south unit entrance has now been converted into a window. A full length porch has a shed roof and is supported by five wooden turned posts with simple squared railing and balustrade (none of this appears to be original). Flooring is wood and rests on block piers. Steps are centered and lead to walk at grade. Foundation is cement clad.

North or right façade features gabled core, 2-story shed roof addition, and a 1-story far rear addition. Brackets (possibly exposed rafters) are visible under wooden eaves. Fenestration: at 2nd level 1 sash unit centered on core and 1 sash unit centered on addition; at 1st level 2 windows are aligned with those above. The far rear addition has one window.

On south or left façade large brick chimney dominates, and the rear 2-story addition extends past core plane by approximately 7' on 2nd level and 5' on 1st level. The upper level is supported by decorative wood brackets. Fenestration(6x6 sash units): at 2nd level core near SE corner, on addition centered on south façade and on east façade; at 1st level of addition, paired sash units under overhang and on east façade of addition.


HISTORY

Built

1880

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

There was a structure in this location before 1890 (but after 1875) according to maps. It is shown as a single structure until the 1906 Sanborn, when it is shown as a twin.

Sources

Sanborn Maps.


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.