Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   168 John St

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

168 John St

Current Name

Address

168 John St

Tax Parcel

1114_17.04_16

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Dutch Colonial Revival

Number of Stories

2

Material

Stucco

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/3/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

Large square lot with open lawn and shade trees on west side of street. Single house occupies lot in site of former water company facility. House is in middle of lot set approx. 40' west of curb.

Description

Large 1.5-story, 4-bay, Dutch Colonial Revival style house in mid-lot. Roof is asphalt shingled end gambrel with distinctive flair over full- length front porch. House oriented east. Units are 166 and 168 John Street. Walls are stucco; upper level dormer and gambrel ends above eaveline eaveline are clad with aluminum siding. Windows are replacement 1x1 sash. Across front is large shed-roofed monitor dormer with two paired sash units near north and south ends and two side-by-side windows at center. First level is under flaired extension of roof serving as porch roof. Fenestration: two small sash windows at center which are flanked by the two units' entrance doors (replacement). Paired units spaced evenly between doors and corners. Porch has masonry sidewalls with brick piers supporting 5 square posts. Two cement stairs reach grade at center.

North end wall shows three evenly spaced sash units at upper level under gambrel; 1st level has large paired window unit near NE corner and small paired unit near NW corner. Garage opening with additional window units at ground level. South elevation repeats 3 windows under gambrel and two large paired units at 1st level.


HISTORY

Built

1915

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

Known as water company lot for facility west of property, this twin house was built between 1911 (not shown on atlas) and 1918 when it does appear.

Sources

Sanborn atlas


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


2015 Photo


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.