Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   7 Green Street

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

7 Green Street

Current Name

Address

7 Green Street

Tax Parcel

1114_17.02_56

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Wood

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

6/15/2016


DESCRIPTION

Setting

The property is located on the north side of Green Street, east of the intersection with Witherspoon Street. Green Street is a residential street with a tree-lined sidewalk on both sides.

Description

Small, rectangular two story wood sided gable roof with ridge parallel to the street. Siding is unpainted replacement cedar. The three bay front has one over one replacement windows over a three part picture window and door on the right side. The gable ends do not have windows, but a full width shed roofed rear extension has single windows on each side on each floor. There is a cinderblock square chimney centered on the east gable.


HISTORY

Built

1840

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1840 and is one of the oldest houses in the Witherspoon-Jackson neighborhood. The house appears on the historic map of 1852 and all subsequent maps and atlases.

The earliest documented owner of the house was Philip F. and Mary F. Slack. They purchased the house in 1860 (unrecorded deed) and sold it in 1864. Margaret Williams purchased the house in 1864 and lived there until her death in 1922.

The house had several owners in the 20th and early 21st centuries. Charles Whycoff inherited it from Margaret Williams in 1922; he died intestate in 1932. His children Fred and Mamie inherited the house from him; Fred died intestate in 1952, leaving Mamie as the owner. She had married William Thomas, and they moved to Philadelphia. In 1953, William and Mamie Thomas sold the property to Rallar Clark and Lucy Jackson. Clark and Jackson owned the property for 29 years. In 1984, Leonard Blank purchased the property. He and his wife lived at 345 Witherspoon Street. In 1986, they sold the property to B. Wayne and Kathy Lee Anderson, who lived at 53 Harrison Street. They owned the property for 14 years. Dorothy Turnage Diehl purchased the property in 2000 and has owned it since that time.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
South (main) and east elevations


2015 Photo
South (main) elevation


2015 Photo
South and west elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.