Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   11 Green Street

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

11 Green Street

Current Name

Address

11 Green Street

Tax Parcel

1114_17.02_57

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Aluminum

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/18/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

North side of Green Street with driveway on the east (right) side.

Description

Two story aluminum clad gable roof with ridge parallel to the street. The four bay front has six over one replacement windows. The two right hand first floor units are aligned while the left unit is part of a pair next to the off center front door. The irregular spacing of the wood Tuscan columns on the full width flat roof porch reflects the arrangement of the openings in the wall beyond. There is a large double window shed roof dormer in the center of the roof. The roof has a heavy cornice with a concealed gutter in the horizontal overhang beyond the facade. The west gable end elevation does not have windows, the east has two over three. There is a small chimney on the front slope, west side.


HISTORY

Built

1850

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1850 and is one of the oldest buildings in the Witherspoon-Jackson community. Historic maps of the 19th century suggest that the house was originally smaller, being extended to the east c. 1900.

The house has a long association with the Frederick Jackson family and the Bright Hope or First Baptist Church, which is said to have been founded in this house. On June 16, 1884, Mary Ten Eyck sold this 120x50 property to Peter L. Kline (Mercer County Deeds, Vol. 141, p. 188). Peter L. Kline sold the property on February 17, 1885 to Lucy Jackson (Mercer County Deeds Vol. 143, p. 352), wife of Frederick Jackson. The property remained in the hands of the Jackson heirs for most of the 20th century. The house was originally half the size it is now. Lucy Jackson, the daughter of Frederick and Lucy Jackson, was born in the house and was interviewed by the Princeton Town Topics newspaper on 30 May 1990 when she turned 100. She remembered "There were two rooms upstairs and a shed on the back which her father made into a kitchen. He also built the rooms on the right hand side of the house."

Sources

Wanda Gunning research.


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
South and east elevations


2015 Photo
South (main) elevation


2015 Photo
South and west elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.