Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   30 Quarry Street

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

30 Quarry Street

Current Name

Address

30 Quarry Street

Tax Parcel

1114_17.02_46

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

2

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Aluminum

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/1/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

This property is a wide lot on the south side of Quarry Street east of the intersection with John Street. Quarry Street is a residential street with a tree-lined sidewalk on both sides. The property's drive is located along its western boundary, leading to a detached 2 bay hip roof garage.

Description

Two story gabled, aluminum clad, three bay residence with the ridge parallel to the street. The rightmost second floor bay has a small rectangular window half the height of one of the adjacent sashes of the one over one replacement windows with aluminum shutters. The two typical windows below are identical and the front door is beneath the small unit. It has flat pilasters supporting a shallow pediment. Brick steps from the sidewalk lead to a brick porch with metal railings. A full width gabled two bay wing the same depth as the front block extends off the rear with a further full width one story shed mass. There is a rick chimney in the center of the east gable.


HISTORY

Built

1880

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1880. It does not appear on the historic maps of 1852 or 1875, both showing a vacant lot in this location. The house first appears on the historic map of 1890. The house was the home of Bryan V. Moore, legal assistant to Mercer County Prosecutor Stanley E. Rutkowski and the first African American to serve on the Mercer County prosecuting staff. Moore served three terms on the Borough Board of Education and was active in community activities. He headed the John St.-Witherspoon St. Citizens Committee. He attended Princeton High School and graduated from Lincoln University in 1936, then taught in Princeton public schools before entering the Air Force in 1942. Upon his discharge, he started studying law at the Rutgers Law School, and also completed graduate work at Rutgers and Columbia University.

Sources

HPC information


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
North (main) elevation


2015 Photo
North and west elevations


2015 Photo
Garage: north elevation


2015 Photo
North and east elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.