Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   12-14 Quarry Street

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

12-14 Quarry Street

Current Name

Address

12-14 Quarry Street

Tax Parcel

1114_17.02_50

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Italianate

Number of Stories

2

Material

Wood

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/1/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

This property is located on the south side of Quarry Street just west of the intersection with Witherspoon Street. Quarry Street is a residential street with a tree-lined sidewalk on both sides. The property has separate drives leading to both ends of the house.

Description

Two story raised foundation gable roof twin residence with ridge parallel to the street and some Italianate details. Roof has small, banded brick chimneys found at crest at each end, and slightly extended eaves. Each half is a three bay front with the outer one over one windows closer to each other than the two central windows aligned with the entry doors below. The full width four equal bay hip roof porch has turned posts and plain railings; it is a major element of the house. A broad center stair with a dividing railing occupies most of the middle bays. There is a deep full width two story shed roof extension in the rear. The windows on the east facade are different than the west. On the east, working forward there is a single and two pairs over a single, a pair and a single. The west has fewer windows, three on the second floor. There are small brick chimneys at each gable end.


HISTORY

Built

1910

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1910.

The original building on the property was an African American school operated by the Presbyterian congregation. James S. Green sold the parcel to trustees of the First Presbyterian Church of Color in Princeton in 1854; the names of the trustees were listed in the deed as Anthony Simmons, Mathias VanHorn, Peter Lane, James Titus, Thomas Beekman, Silvenus Vandike, and Thomas Funike. The trustees constructed the initial building on the property, set back off the street. The school building appears on historic maps from 1890 to 1906. The original purpose of the school was alleviated when Douglass Hall was constructed as the public school for African American children in Princeton.

The school building was demolished soon after 1906, after which the current house was constructed. The current house appears on maps beginning with the Sanborn of 1911.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
North (main) elevation


2015 Photo
North and east elevations


2015 Photo
North and west elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.