Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   10 Quarry Street

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

10 Quarry Street

Current Name

Address

10 Quarry Street

Tax Parcel

1114_17.02_51

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Aluminum

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/1/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

The property is located on the south side of Quarry Street adjacent to the church at the corner of Witherspoon Street. Quarry Street is a residential street with a tree- lined sidewalk on both sides. The property's driveway is located on the east ( (left) boundary.

Description

Small two story aluminum clad gabled three bay residence, ridge parallel to the street, and two story rear additions. The one over one replacement windo windows are large in proportion to the facades and are vertically aligned on the front and east elevations except for the entrance door on the right hand side of the front. The west gable end elevation does not have any windows. A lower two story gabled "L" wing is aligned with the east wall and terminates with a small one story shed lean to. A flat roof two story addition extends past the west gable end elevation with a pair of forward facing windows and another pair on the west elevation. There is a brick chimney centered on the east gable end.


HISTORY

Built

1850

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1850. It appears on the map of 1852 and all succeeding maps. One of the 20th century residents of the house was George Reeves, who dedicated nearly half a century of service to the YMCA. He received an award from Robert C. Miller, chairman of the association’s board of directors. Reeves also served Tower Club at Princeton University for over 40 years, where a portrait of him hangs to this day in honor of his work and dedication. He was said to be “the only person whom every member of Tower Club knew, and the only person who knew every member.” He was also involved with Princeton Summer Camp and the Witherspoon Presbyterian Church.

Sources

HPC information


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
North and east elevations


2015 Photo
North and west elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.