Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   Witherspoon School

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

Witherspoon School

Current Name

Address

35 Quarry Street

Tax Parcel

1114_17.03_93

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Key Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Colonial Revival

Number of Stories

2

Material

Brick

Historic Function

Education

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/13/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

The site is a through-block from Quarry to Maclean Streets with the former school buildings being close to Quarry Street. The main entry drive is on the left side of the building from Quarry Street leading to a circular drop off area behind the building and then surface parking for 36 cars on the back half of the lot out to Maclean Street. A key feature of the setting is its 5' wrought iron fence with gate running along the sidewalk, as well as its manicured lawn area in the 25' setback between the sidewalk and the school. Mature trees shade the property along this part of Quarry Street.

Description

The building consists of three similarly sized hip roof 2 1/2 story brick pavilions. The Georgian revival building features brick quoins at the corners, modillion cornices, classical entrance surrounds and a cupola over the pavilion facing Quarry Street. As part of the tax act rehabilitation, windows were replaced and restored as were other key architectural features. The double hung divided light windows are grouped on either side of the entrances on the long facades. The end walls typically have blind openings in the brick continuing the fenestration patterns. The other secondary facades (north and east) are full three story elevations with large single windows closely spaced unlike the grouped units on the principal (Quarry Street) facade.


HISTORY

Built

1910

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The school was built in 1908 and enlarged in the 1950s. The school board decided to build a new schoolhouse because too many students were attending the Witherspoon Street School (Douglass Hall). Originally, the plan was to name the new school the Quarry Street School, but eventually the decision was made to name this school the Witherspoon School for Colored Children. The school was segregated until the Princeton Plan was passed.

The former school was converted to apartments as part of an investment tax credit project by architect developer J. Robert Hillier in 2005-6. Hillier Architecture was the design firm. Presently (2015) known as The Waxwood. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Sources

Shirley Satterfield information


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
Main (south) elevation


2015 Photo
South and west elevations


2015 Photo
South and east elevations


2015 Photo
Detail of cupola, south elevation


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.