Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   33-33 1/2 Lytle Street

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

33-33 1/2 Lytle Street

Current Name

Address

33-33 1/2 Lytle Street

Tax Parcel

1114_15.02_72

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Italianate

Number of Stories

2

Material

Vinyl

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/1/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

This is a wide lot near the west end of Lytle, on the north side. This section of street is heavily shaded. The resource is located just a few feet from the sidewalk and has a short driveway on its east side.

Description

This is one of the few Italianate houses in the Witherspoon-Jackson area. The two-story, 2-part frame house faces south towards the street and includes two rear extensions (eastern extension is 1-story; western extension is 2 story). The contributing house's key features are its paired brackets supporting the molded cornice, full-length and low- pitched hipped roof front porch supported by what appear to be original, turned posts and scroll-sawn post bracketing, and valance. The windows also are original - 2x2 sash units. The door has an upper glazed section, which also indicates it may be original. The roof is an end-gabled and asphalt shingled. The walls are vinyl clapboard; shutters have been recently removed. This is a 4-bay house but it may be possible that windows once occupied the space between the 3rd and 4th windows, making it a five- bay house (this is logical because this would have been the original and no- doubt 3-bay section). Windows and doors are aligned on the main fa├žade though the modern cladding shrouds the reveal. Doors to this duplex are situated at near southwest and southeast corners. The wooden front porch rests on block piers with lattice between. The thick porch railing is supported by turned balustrade. Vegetation made investigating the sides the building difficult, but no windows appear on the eastern gabled end wall.


HISTORY

Built

1880

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

According to maps, the eastern half of this building was constructed c. 1880, with the western half added between 1895 and 1902 (Sanborn Atlases).

Sources

Sanborn Atlases


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
South (main) elevation


2015 Photo
South and east elevations


2015 Photo
South and west elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.