Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   98 Leigh Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

98 Leigh Avenue

Current Name

Address

98 Leigh Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6906_3

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Dutch Colonial Revival

Number of Stories

1

Material

Wood

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/12/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

Narrow lot on south side of Leigh Ave. that gently slopes upward to the south. The house is set back approximately 6-8' from sidewalk, and features a landscaped area in front with masonry retaining wall, as well as heavy masonry steps leading down to grade. Located on heavily shaded section of the avenue. Access drive runs along east side of house to rear of lot. Lot is mainly flat.

Description

This is a fine example of a front-end-gambrel-roofed house designed in the Dutch Colonial Revival style. Key features: wooden eaves and cladding with wood shingles on 2nd floor and clapboard at first floor. This is a frame, 1.5-story, 2-bay, house with an asphalt shingled gambrel roof. Additional key features are its roof, large monitor dormers, and wooden window entablatures. Main (north) façade includes window under crest, two large sash units (replacements) centered on 2nd level, and a paired window unit nearly centered on 1st level. Solid replacement door with entablature located near NW corner. Full-length front porch with tin-clad hipped roof with thick cornice and overhanging eaves is supported by two narrow Doric columns. Concrete steps with metal railings lead down to grade opposite door.

West façade exhibits 2nd level exhibits nearly full length dormer with three windows on dormer and two paired units (differing in size) at 1st level. East façade, beside dormer, could not be investigated.


HISTORY

Built

1925

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house dates to c. 1925. Historic atlases show a vacant lot in this location as late as the Sanborn atlas of 1918. The house first appears on the Franklin Survey atlas of 1930.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
North and east elevations


2015 Photo
North (main) elevation


2015 Photo
North and west elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.