Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   118-120 Leigh Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

118-120 Leigh Avenue

Current Name

Address

118-120 Leigh Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_13.01_2

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Queen Anne

Number of Stories

2

Material

Vinyl

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/1/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

Property on south side of Leigh near Bayard Lane. It is a partly wooded property that gently rises to the south. The historic resource is a twin house that sets back approximately 3' from sidewalk and behind a low brick landscaped knee wall. A drive runs to the west of house to a newer garage building. This house and its twin to the east create short but decisive rhythm of forms along the street.

Description

Large, 2.5-story Queen Anne style twin house facing north onto the street. Sitting several steps above the sidewalk, key features of this frame, vinyl-clad building include its two projecting gables each over large, two- story, octagonal bay window units. Within the twin gable units is decorative wood brackets and pendent resting on squared overhanging eaves somewhat accentuating the bays. Cross-gabled roof is asphalt shingled, walls are vinyl, windows are mainly 1x1 sash believed to be replacements. Under each decorative gable are tall sash units with decorative surround. Each bay, both floors, have three sash units. Across the main (south) façade is a full length porch with nearly flat roof, supported by 4 Tuscan columns resting on masonry kneewall (serves as railing). The main entrances are side by side, centered, and appear to have original half glazed doors. Wide brick steps, centered, lead from sidewalk to porch.

Right or west façade features three centered 1x1 windows at all 3 levels, and two symmetrically spaced windows on centered between corners and center window on 1st level. East façade could not be photographed.

Garage is a frame, vinyl clad building with front end gable roof and new overhead double door.


HISTORY

Built

1905

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

This building appears on the 1906 Sanborn map; road was laid out around 1905 and thus the 1905 date is given.

Sources

Sanborn Atlases.


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
North (main) elevation


2015 Photo
North and west elevations


2015 Photo
North and east elevations


2015 Photo
Garage: north elevation


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.