Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   101 Leigh Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

101 Leigh Avenue

Current Name

Address

101 Leigh Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6903_21

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Aluminum

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

10/31/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

This property is located on the north side of Leigh Avenue west of the intersection with Race Street. Leigh Avenue is a residential street with a tree-lined sidewalk on each side. A minimal front lawn is located in the space between the sidewalk and the house. A concrete walk leads from the front door of the house to the sidewalk, and a property drive along the east property boundary provides off-street parking.

Description

This house is a one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, vernacular building of a type found throughout Northern New Jersey. Its main features are a hipped- roof front porch and a double-window wall dormer. It features a side-gable roof that is clad with asphalt shingles. The house is clad in aluminum siding.

The first floor of the south elevation features a one-story, full-length, hipped-roofed,wood porch and an off-set front door. The porch is supported by four concrete piers and is accessed by an off-set concrete staircase that leads to the front door and that has a double, iron balustrade. It features four iron posts and an iron balustrade. The front door is flanked by two, single, six-over-six, double-hung sash windows to its west. The half-story has tall cheek walls with a front-gable wall dormer with one,double, six-over-six, double-hung sash window in its center.

The west elevation features an exterior brick chimney towards its southern (front) end.

The house’s foundation is clad in stucco.


HISTORY

Built

1930

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1930. Historic atlases show vacant land in this location up to the Sanborn atlas of 1918. [The 1930 atlas does not include the north side of Leigh Avenue.] The house first appears on the historic aerial of 1940.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
South and east elevations


2015 Photo
South and west elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.