Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   97 Leigh Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

97 Leigh Avenue

Current Name

Address

97 Leigh Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6903_19

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Noncontributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Vinyl

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

10/31/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

This property is located on the north side of Leigh Avenue west of the intersection with Race Street. Leigh Avenue is a residential street with a tree-lined sidewalk on each side. A minimal front lawn is located in the space between the sidewalk and the house, and a drive along the east property line provides off-street parking. A concrete walk leads from the front door of the house to the sidewalk.

Description

This house is a two-and-a-half-story, three-bay, L-shaped, vernacular building and its main features are a recessed off-set, side pavilion and a hipped-roof front porch. It features a front-gable roof that is clad with asphalt shingles. The house is clad in vinyl siding. All of the house’s doors and windows are replacements.

The first floor of the south elevation features a one-story, full-length, hipped-roofed wood porch and an off-set front door. The porch roof features an off-set, wood pediment on the front door side of the porch. The tympanum is clad in vinyl siding. The porch is accessed by an off-set stone staircase that leads to the front door and that has a double, iron balustrade. It features three, square wood columns and a low, wood parapet. The front door is flanked by two, single, six-over-six, double- hung sash windows to its west. On the second floor, there are three, single, six-over-six, double-hung sash windows centered over the windows and front door on the first floor.

The east elevation features a recessed, two-and-a-half-story, one-bay, side-gable-roofed pavilion. The first floor of the south elevation of the pavilion features one, single, six-over-six, double-hung sash window.

At the rear of the property, there is a one-and-a-half-story, one-bay, front-gable roofed, stuccoed garage. The roof is clad in asphalt shingles.


HISTORY

Built

1905

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1905. The house appears on the Sanborn Atlas of 1906 and succeeding maps.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
South (main) elevation


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.