Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   67 Leigh Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

67 Leigh Avenue

Current Name

Address

67 Leigh Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6904_27

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Aluminum

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

10/31/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

This property is located on the north side of Leigh Avenue near the center of the block between the intersections with John and Race Streets. Leigh Avenue is a residential street with a tree-lined sidewalk on each side. A minimal front lawn is located north of the sidewalk. A concrete walk leads from the front door of the house to the sidewalk.

Description

This house is a two-and-a-half-story, three-bay, vernacular building and its main feature is a hipped-roof porch. It features a side-gable roof that is clad with asphalt shingleswith wood eaves. The house is clad in aluminum siding.

The south (front) elevation of the house features a one-story, full-length, hipped-roofed, wood porch and an off-set front door. The porch is accessed by a center, concrete staircase with double, low, concrete parapets. It features four, square, Doric columns and a wood balustrade. The front door is flanked by two, single, six-over-one, double-hung sashwindows to its east. On the second floor, there are three, single, six-over-one, double- hung sash windows centered over the windows and door on the first floor.

The second floor of the west elevation features one small window towards the back and there is a small, rectangular window opening (currently boarded up) centered in the gable of this elevation.

There is a one-story, shed-roofed bay on the west elevation. It is clad in aluminum siding. Its west elevation features one window on the first floor.

The house’s foundation is clad in stucco.


HISTORY

Built

1925

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1925. Historic maps show a vacant lot in this location as late as the Sanborn Atlas of 1918. The house is clearly shown on the historic aerial of 1940. [Note: the atlas of 1930 does not include the north side of Leigh Avenue.]

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
South and west elevations


2015 Photo
South (main) elevation


2015 Photo
South and east elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.