Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   63 Leigh Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

63 Leigh Avenue

Current Name

Address

63 Leigh Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6904_25

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Stone

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

10/31/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

This property is located on the north side of Leigh Avenue near the center of the block between the intersections with John and Race Streets. Leigh Avenue is a residential street with a tree-lined sidewalk on each side. A minimal front lawn is located north of the sidewalk, and off-street parking is located along a paved drive along the east boundary of the property.

Description

This house is a two-and-a-half-story, three-bay, L-shaped, vernacular building, and its main features are a recessed, off-set, side pavilion, wood bargeboards on its front gable, and a hipped-roof front porch. It features a front-gable roof that is clad with asphalt shingles and has scrolled, wood bargeboards over the eaves. There is an interior chimney located at the junction of the main house with the off-set side pavilion. The house is constructed of stone.

The first floor of the south elevation features a one-story, full-length, hipped-roofed wood porch and an off-set front door. The porch roof features an off-set, wood pediment on the front door side of the porch. The tympanum is clad in vertical wood siding. The porch is accessed by an off-set concrete staircase that leads to the front door and that has double, low, parapets. It features three stone pillars and a low, stone parapet along its front edge. The front door features a transom and is flanked to its west by one, double, two-over-two, double-hung sash window with a segmental arch. On the second floor, there are three, single, one- over-one, double-hung sash windows with segmental arches more or less evenly spaced across the elevation. There is one, single, one-over-one, double-hung sash window in the gable of this elevation.

The east elevation features a recessed, two-and-a-half-story, one-bay, side-gable-roofed pavilion.

There is a one-story, brick addition on the north (back) elevation of this house.

The house’s foundation is constructed of stone.


HISTORY

Built

1910

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1910. Historic maps show a vacant lot in this location as late as the Sanborn Atlas of 1906. The Sanborn Atlas of 1911 is the first to show the house, and it appears on all subsequent atlases and historic aerials. These Sanborn Atlases indicate it as a stone building.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
Main (south) elevation


2015 Photo
South and west elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.