Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   61 Leigh Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

61 Leigh Avenue

Current Name

Address

61 Leigh Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6904_24

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Stucco

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

10/31/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

This property is located on the north side of Leigh Avenue west of the intersection with John Street. Leigh Avenue is a residential street with a tree-lined sidewalk on each side. A minimal front lawn is located north of the sidewalk, and off-street parking is located along a paved drive along the east boundary of the property.

Description

This house is a two-and-a-half-story, three-bay, L-shaped, vernacular building and its main features are a recessed, off-set, side pavilion with a small wooden porch, wood bargeboards on its front gable, and ahipped-roof front porch. It features a front-gable roof that is clad with asphalt shinglesand has scrolled, wood bargeboards over the eaves. There is an interior brick chimney located at the junction of the main house with the off-set side pavilion. The house is clad in stucco.

The first floor of the south elevation features a one-story, full-length, hipped-roofed wood porch and an off-set front door. The porch roof features an off-set, wood pediment on the front door side of the porch. The tympanum is clad in wood shingles. The porch is accessed by an off-set wood staircase that leads to the front door and that has a double, metal- pipebalustrade. It features three turned-wood posts with jigsaw bracketing and a turned-wood balustrade. The front door is flanked by two, single, two-over-two, double-hung sash windows to its west. On the second floor, there are three, single, two-over-two, double-hung sash windows centered over the windows and door on the first floor.

The east elevation features a recessed, two-and-a-half-story, one-bay, side-gable-roofed pavilion with its own small, wood porch. The first floor of the south elevation of the pavilion features a one-story, full-length, hipped-roofed wood porch and a central door. The porch is accessed by a center wood staircase that leads to the door and that has a single, turned- wood balustrade. It features one turned-wood post with jigsaw bracketing and a turned-wood balustrade.

The house’s foundation is clad in stucco.


HISTORY

Built

1915

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1915. Historic maps show a vacant lot in this location as late as the Sanborn Atlas of 1911. The Sanborn Atlas of 1918 is the first to show the house, and it appears on all subsequent atlases and historic aerials.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
South (main) and west elevations


2015 Photo
South and east elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.