Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   27 Leigh Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

27 Leigh Avenue

Current Name

Address

27 Leigh Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6905_30

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Aluminum

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

10/31/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

The property is located on the north side of Leigh Avenue east of the intersection with John Street. Leigh Avenue has a tree-lined sidewalk on both sides of the road. The property has a minimal front lawn and no off- street parking.

Description

The property contains a 2-story, 4-bay vernacular twin that faces south to Leigh Avenue. The key architectural feature of the building is its set of 2-story, 3-panel bays that dominate the main elevation.

The entire building has a flat, shed-roof with a parapet to the south. The entire building also is clad in aluminum siding. All of the building’s doors are replacements. The first floor of the south (front) elevation features a one-story, hipped-roofed, wood porch that is located between two bay windows. The porch is accessed by a central wood staircase with a single, iron balustrade demarcating the 17 Leigh half of the house from the 17½ Leigh half.

Each side of the south elevation of the twin features an off-set front door flanked by one, two-story, three-sided, flat-roofed bay that is clad in aluminum siding. Each bay has one, single, one-over-one, double-hung sash window on each panel of its first and second floors (for a total of six windows).

27 Leigh Avenue’s east elevation features on its first floor three windows more or less evenly spaced across its plane. On its second floor, it features three windows more or less centered over the windows on the first floor.

27½ Leigh Avenue’s west elevation features on its first floor one centered window. On its second floor, it features two windows more or less centered over the window on the first floor.

There is a two-story addition on the north (back) elevation of the twin.

The house’s foundation is constructed of stone and clad in stucco.


HISTORY

Built

1910

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The twin was constructed c. 1910. Historic maps indicate that the property was vacant as late as the Sanborn Atlas of 1906. The Sanborn Atlas of 1911 shows the existing twin.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
Main (south) elevation


2015 Photo
South and west elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.