Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   23 Leigh Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

23 Leigh Avenue

Current Name

Address

23 Leigh Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6905_28

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Wood

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

10/31/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

The house stands on the north side of Leigh Avenue near the center of the block extending from John Street to Witherspoon Street. The street has a sidewalk and a line of mature trees off each side of the road. The property has a minimal front lawn north of the sidewalk.

Description

The building on the property is a 2.5-story, 2-bay vernacular residence that faces south. Its key features include its shingle siding on its upper floors and its hipped front porch. The shingles are a remnant of the historic pattern on Leigh Avenue of having a different cladding material on the upper floors. The house has a front-gable roof clad in asphalt shingles; it features wooden eaves. The first floor of the house is clad in wood siding and the second floor and gable are clad in machine shingles. The second floor slightly jetties over the first floor and the gable slightly jetties over the second floor. All of the house’s windows and doors are replacements. The first floor of the south (front) elevation features a one-story, full-length, hipped-roof, wood and iron porch and an off-set front door. The porch is accessed by an off-set, brick staircase with a double, iron balustrade. It features three iron posts that hold up the porch roof which features a wood cornice. The porch is surrounded by an iron balustrade. The front door is flanked by one window to its east and an inserted window to its west. The east window is a wide, single, one-over-one, double- hung sash window. The west window is a single, one-over-one, double- hung sash window. On the second floor, there are two, single, one- over-one, double-hung sash windows; one is centered over the front door, the other is centered over the east window on the first floor. The east elevation features at the front of its first floor one, single, one-over-one, double-hung sash window and at the front of its second floor, one, single, one-over-one, double-hung sash window centered over the window on the first floor. The west elevation features on its first floor a center door at grade flanked by one, single, one-over-one, double-hung sash window to its north and the second floor features one, single, one-over-one, double- hung sash window centered over the door and set in a lower plane then the other two windows, one, small, single, one-over-one, double-hung, sash window immediately to the north of the first window, and one, single, one-over-one, double-hung, sash window immediately to the north of the second window. The house’s foundation is clad in stucco.


HISTORY

Built

1915

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1915. Historic maps indicate a vacant property in this location as late as the Sanborn atlas of 1911. The Sanborn Atlas of 1918 shows the current house.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
Main (south) elevation


2015 Photo
South and east elevations


2015 Photo
South and west elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.