Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   21 Leigh Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

21 Leigh Avenue

Current Name

Address

21 Leigh Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6905_27

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Vinyl

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Commerce

Last Entry Update

10/31/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

The house stands on the north side of Leigh Avenue west of the intersection with Witherspoon Street. The street has a sidewalk two feet off each side of the road and a line of mature trees on each side as well. The houses on the north side of the street are set back an average of 15 feet from the street. The property’s drive runs along the east boundary.

Description

This duplex faces south. The two-and-a-half-story, three-bay building has a front-gable roof clad in asphalt shingles; its eaves are clad in vinyl siding. The house also is clad in vinyl siding. All of the house’s windows are replacements and the door to the business on the first floor is new. The first floor of the south (front) elevation features the original front door on its west end, a new multi-paned bay window in its middle, and a new door on its east end. The original front door is accessed by a concrete and brick staircase with a single iron balustrade and it is protected by a one-story, hipped-roof, wood portico with two wood Doric columns. The original front door now leads to the second floor. The new door on the east end of this elevation leads to a business. It is accessed by a concrete and brick staircase with a double iron balustrade and it is protected by a cloth awning. On the second floor, there is one, single, one-over-one, double-hung sash window centered over the original front door and one, double, one-over- one, double-hung sash window centered between the single window to its west and the east end of the house. There is one, wide, single, one-over-one, double-hung sash window centered in the gable. The east elevation features on its second floor three, single, one- over- one, double-hung sash windows evenly spaced across its plane. The house’s foundation is clad in stucco.


HISTORY

Built

1910

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house does not appear on historic maps as late as Princeton's Sanborn Atlas of 1906. It first appears on the Sanborn atlas of 1911 and on all subsequent maps.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
South (main) and west elevations.


2015 Photo
South and east elevations.


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.