Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   17 Leigh Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

17 Leigh Avenue

Current Name

Address

17 Leigh Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6905_25

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Noncontributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Vinyl

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

10/31/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

The house stands on the north side of Leigh Avenue west of the intersection of Witherspoon Street. The street has a sidewalk and a line of mature trees off each side of the road. The house has a minimal front lawn area north of the sidewalk.

Description

This property contains a new house that faces south. The two-story, three-bay building has a front-gable roof clad in asphalt shingles. The house is constructed of concrete block. The first floor of the south (front) elevation is clad in face brick on its lower half and wood shingles on its upper half which slightly jetty over the face brick; the second floor is clad in wood shingles which slightly jetty over the first floor. The center front door is at grade and is flanked by one, double, one-over-one, double-hung sash window to its east and one, double, one-over-one, double-hung sash window to its west. On the second floor, there is a large, central, multi-paned, floor to ceiling window flanked by one, double, six-over-six, double-hung sash window to its east and one double, six-over-six, double-hung sash window to its west. The west elevation features on its first floor two windows more or less evenly spaced across its plane. The second floor is clad in vinyl siding. A one-story, flat-roofed addition on the north (back) elevation is also constructed of concrete block.


HISTORY

Built

1970

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house on the property was constructed c. 1970. Historic maps indicate that the property was vacant until c. 1910. The Sanborn Atlas of 1911 shows a small frame building on the property that also appears on the Sanborn Atlas of 1918. This building was removed prior to the construction of the current house.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
Main (south) elevation.


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.