Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   90 Birch Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

90 Birch Avenue

Current Name

Address

90 Birch Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6904_16

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Stucco

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/13/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

This property is located on the south side of Birch Avenue west of the intersection with John Street. Birch Avenue has a tree-lined sidewalk on both sides. Properties on the south side of the street have a small front lawn between the sidewalk and the houses. The property's drive leads along the east boundary to a garage in the rear of the lot.

Description

The building on the property is a 2.5-story, 2-bay vernacular building facing north. The house has an end-gabled roof that features a small shed-roofed dormer on the north slope and a small chimney on the ridge. The building's walls are stuccoed. Fenestration consists of replacement 1x1 double hung sash windows; some units on the north elevation feature inoperable louvered shutters. The second floor of the main elevation has two windows. On the first floor, replacement doors are located near the outer corners, opening onto small porches with awnings. Two small windows are located between the doors.

The end walls feature four windows on the first and second floor levels, arranged symmetrically and aligned horizontally. The house's concrete foundation features horizontal basement windows on the end walls.

In the rear of the lot is a small garage not easily viewed from the public right-of-way. The 1-story building has a front end gabled orientation, vinyl-clad frame walls, and an overhead garage door.


HISTORY

Built

1920

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1920. Historic maps and atlases show a vacant lot in this location as late as the Sanborn atlas of 1918. The Franklin Survey atlas of 1930 does not document properties north of Leigh Avenue. The house first appears on the historic aerial of 1940 and appears on all subsequent aerials.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
North and east elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.