Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   132 Birch Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

132 Birch Avenue

Current Name

Address

132 Birch Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6904_6

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Colonial Revival

Number of Stories

2

Material

Vinyl

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/13/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

This property is located on the south side of Birch Avenue just east of the intersection with Race Street. Birch Avenue has a tree-lined sidewalk on both sides. Properties on the south side of the street have a small front lawn between the sidewalk and the houses. The property's drive runs along its west edge. This property is twice the size of other lots on this block of Birch Avenue.

Description

The house on the property is a 2-story, 3-bay Colonial Revival style building facing north. Its key features include its front porch and window pattern. The house's end-gabled roof is clad with asphalt shingles and features a brick chimney attached on its east end and a small brick chimney near the west end of the ridge. The eaves are clad with aluminum. The house's frame walls are clad with vinyl siding. Fenestration consists of replacement 1x1 double hung sash windows, arranged symmetrically. The main elevation features three windows on the second floor. The first floor has a replacement door located in the center bay, with 4-pane sidelights. Flanking the door are tripartite windows on either side. A gabled portico over the door has a pronounced cornice; two thin Tuscan columns support its outer corners. A concrete set of steps leads down to the front lawn. The west end has two attic windows, two second floor windows, and a paired first floor window near the northwest corner. The east end features an attic window north of the chimney and a window on each side of the chimney on the second floor. A small addition occupies the first floor; it has a hipped roof clad with asphalt shingles, vinyl-clad frame walls, and windows on each side. The house has a concrete foundation.


HISTORY

Built

1920

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1920. Historic maps and atlases show a vacant lot in this location as late as the Sanborn atlas of 1918. The Franklin Survey atlas of 1930 does not document properties north of Leigh Avenue. The house first appears on the historic aerial of 1940 and appears on all subsequent aerials.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
North and east elevations


2015 Photo
North (main) elevation


2015 Photo
North and west elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.