Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   190-194 Birch Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

190-194 Birch Avenue

Current Name

Address

190-194 Birch Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6903_9

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Aluminum

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

11/12/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

This property is located on the south side of Birch Avenue west of the intersection with Race Street. Birch Avenue is a residential street with a tree-lined sidewalk on each side. Parking is located on a drive running along each side of the building.

Description

The property contains the easternmost unit of the six Rainbow houses, T-shaped twins that were originally more similar in appearance. The building has a low-pitched hipped roof with a rectangular brick chimney on the ridge and extended eaves. The walls are clad with aluminum siding. Fenestration consists of replacement 6x1 double hung sash windows with inoperable louvered shutters. The windows are arranged symmetrically over the wall surface: two bays facing the street and four on the side walls. The entrance is a door located on the front of the crossbar section, set back from the street. The western unit of this twin appears to retain one of the few original doors surviving on a Rainbow house, with six inset lights above the lockrail. The eastern unit has a replacement door. The doors open onto a shed roof porch with steps leading north to the grade of the lawn. The house has a concrete foundation with horizontal basement windows.


HISTORY

Built

1920

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The Rainbow Houses were constructed c. 1930 by Edgar Palmer's company, Princeton Municipal Improvement, Inc. Historic maps show a vacant parcel in this location as late as the Sanborn atlas of 1918, part of the former Albert S. Leigh Farm. This house and the other Rainbow Houses appear on all historic aerials beginning with 1931.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
North and east elevations


2015 Photo
North (main) elevation


2015 Photo
North and west elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.