Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   195 Birch Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

195 Birch Avenue

Current Name

Address

195 Birch Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6902_60

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Aluminum

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

10/31/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

The property is located on the north side of Birch Avenue west of Race Street. Birch Avenue is a residential street with a tree-lined sidewalk on each side. The property has a small front lawn off the sidewalk and off- street parking along each end of the house.

Description

This 2-story, 4-bay vernacular house faces south to Birch Avenue. Its main features are its hipped-roof front porch and brick chimney. It features a side-gable roof that is clad with asphalt shingles and has vinyl-clad eaves. The house is clad in vinyl. All of the house’s windows and doors are replacements. The first floor of the south elevation features a one- story, full-length, hipped-roof, wood porch with a central front door. The porch is accessed by two concrete and brick staircases, one on each end of the porch. It features four, square, wooden posts. The front door is flanked on its east by one, double, one-over-one, double-hung sash window and on its west by one, double, one-over-one, double-hung sash window. On the second floor, there are four, single, one-over-one, double-hung sash windows evenly spaced across this elevation. These windows are flanked by inoperable shutters.

There is an exterior, brick chimney located in the center of the house’s west elevation. There is a two-story, vinyl-clad addition attached to the house’s north (rear) elevation.

The house’s foundation is concrete.


HISTORY

Built

1910

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

This parcel was vacant until c. 1930. The house appears to have been constructed on Baker Street (likely the east side) c. 1910, then relocated to this parcel c. 1930 during the Palmer Square construction. The building is located west of two houses that are known to have been moved to Birch Avenue from Baker Street. Historic maps and Sanborn Atlases indicate that this particular property was vacant as late as 1918. The first historic map or aerial showing the house in this location is the historic aerial of 1940. Note: the 1930 atlas does not cover houses along Birch Avenue.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
South and east elevations


2015 Photo
Detail of south (main) elevation


2015 Photo
South and west elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.