Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   175-179 Birch Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

175-179 Birch Avenue

Current Name

Address

175-179 Birch Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6902_57

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Vinyl

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

10/31/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

The property is located on the north side of Birch Avenue west of Race Street. Birch Avenue is a residential street with a tree-lined sidewalk on each side. The property has a small front lawn off the sidewalk. The property has off-street parking along each end of the house and a concrete walk connecting the main entrance with the sidewalk.

Description

This 2-story, 4-bay vernacular twin is one of two (and possibly as many as four) houses relocated from Baker Street to the north side of Birch Street as part of the Palmer Square project. The house’s main feature is its half- length, shed-roofed front porch. It features a side-gable roof that is clad with asphalt shingles and features two, interior, brick chimneys; one located on the north (rear) slope of 175 Birch Avenue’s roof and one located on the north slope of 179 Birch Avenue’s roof. The house is clad in vinyl siding. All of the house’s windows and doors are replacements. The first floor of the south elevation features a one-story, half-length, shed-roofed porch with two front doors in the center, one leading into 175 Birch Avenue (east door) and the other leading into 179 Birch Avenue (west door). The porch is accessed by a central wood staircase with a double, wood balustrade. It features three, square, wood posts with a wood balustrade. The front doors are flanked on their east by one, single, one- over-one, double-hung sash window and on their west by one, single, one- over-one, double-hung sash window. On the second floor, there are four, single, one-over-one, double-hung sash windows, centered over the windows and doors on the first floor.

There is a two-story, flat-roofed, vinyl-sided addition to the north (rear) elevation of this twin.


HISTORY

Built

1910

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1910 and relocated here c. 1930. It was originally constructed on Baker Street (likely the east side) and was moved as part of the clearing of various parcels during the Palmer Square construction. Historic maps and Sanborn Atlases indicate that this particular property was vacant as late as 1918. The first historic map or aerial showing the house in this location is the historic aerial of 1940. Note: the 1930 atlas does not cover houses along Birch Avenue.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
South and west elevations


2015 Photo
South (main) elevation


2015 Photo
South and east elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.