Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   143 Birch Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

143 Birch Avenue

Current Name

Address

143 Birch Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6902_49

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Colonial Revival

Number of Stories

2

Material

Vinyl

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

10/31/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

The property is located on the north side of Birch Avenue east of the intersection with Race Street. Birch Avenue is a residential street with a tree-lined sidewalk on each side. The property has a small front lawn off the sidewalk that is outlined with shrubbery. A paved drive runs along the eastern boundary to provide off-street parking.

Description

This house is a two-and-a-half-story, two-bay, conservative Colonial Revival building and its main features are its hipped-roof front porch and central brick chimney. It features a side-gable roof,with a jerkin-head on its east end and a central brick chimney, that is clad with asphalt shingles and has wood eaves. The house is clad in stucco and patterned wood shingles. All of the house’s windows are replacements. The first floor of the south elevation features a one-story, full-length, hipped- roof, wood porch with an offset front door. The porch is accessed by an off-set wood staircase with a double, wood balustrade. It features four, tapered, square, wooden columns, a wood balustrade, and a wood gate at the top of the staircase. The front door is flanked on its west by one, double, six-over-one, double-hung sash window. On the second floor, there are two, double, six-over-one, double-hung sash windows evenly spaced across this elevation.

There is a one-story, side-gable, addition attached to the rear of the second story of the house’s east elevation. The roof of this addition is clad in asphalt shingles and features exposed wooden eaves. The addition is clad in patterned wood shingles and is supported by two, tall, square, wood columns.


HISTORY

Built

1930

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1930. Historic maps and Sanborn Atlases show a vacant parcel in this location as late as 1918. The house first appears on the historic aerial of 1940 and appears on subsequent aerials. The 1930 atlas does not cover houses along Birch Avenue.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
South and east elevations


2015 Photo
South (main) elevation


2015 Photo
South and west elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.