Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   97 Birch Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

97 Birch Avenue

Current Name

Address

97 Birch Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6902_39

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Dutch Colonial Revival

Number of Stories

2

Material

Aluminum

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

10/31/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

The property is located on the north side of Birch Avenue just west of the intersection with John Street. Birch Avenue is a residential street with a tree-lined sidewalk on each side. The property has a small front lawn off the sidewalk. The property has off-street parking on each side of the house.

Description

This house is atwo-story, three-bay, Dutch Colonial Revival building and its main features are its continuous shed-roof dormers and its exterior brick chimney. It features a side-gambrel roof clad in slate shingles. The house is clad inaluminum siding. All of the house’s windows are replacements.

The first floor of the east (front) elevation features a front-gable door hood with a concrete stoop. The stoop is accessed by two, concrete staircases with single iron balustrades, one on each end of the stoop. The front door is flanked by one, double, one-over-one, double-hung sash window to its north and one, single, one-over-one, double-hung sash window to its south. On the second floor, there is a continuous, shed-roofed dormer with three, single, one-over-one, double-hung sash windows evenly spaced across its face.

The south elevation features an exterior, brick chimney. And there is a one-story, hipped-roofed addition clad in aluminum siding. There are two, double, one-over-one, double-hung sash windows evenly spaced across its face.

The house’s foundation is clad in stucco.


HISTORY

Built

1925

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1925. Historic maps and Sanborn Atlases show a vacant parcel in this location as late as 1918. [The historic atlas of 1930 does not cover Birch Avenue.] The house first appears on the historic aerial of 1940 and appears on all subsequent historic aerials.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
South and east elevations


2015 Photo
South elevation


2015 Photo
South and west elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.