Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   93 Birch Avenue

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

93 Birch Avenue

Current Name

Address

93 Birch Avenue

Tax Parcel

1114_6902_38

Historic District

Witherspoon Jackson HD

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Vernacular

Number of Stories

2

Material

Aluminum

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

10/31/2015


DESCRIPTION

Setting

The property is located on the north side of Birch Avenue just west of the intersection with John Street. Birch Avenue is a residential street with a tree-lined sidewalk on each side. The property has a small front lawn off the sidewalk.

Description

This house is a two-and-a-half-story, four-bay, vernacular twin building and its main features are its hipped-roofed porch and weatherboard cladding. It features a side-gable roof that is clad with asphalt shingles with exposed wood eaves. The house is clad in weatherboard. All of the house’s windows are replacements.

The first floor of the south elevation features a one-story, full-length, hipped-roofed porch and two off-set front doors. The porch is accessed by two off-set concrete staircases with double,metal-pipe balustrades. 91 Birch Avenue’s porch features two, turned-wood posts supported by a high, stuccoed parapet. 93 Birch Street’s porch features two, wood columns and a high, stuccoed parapet. 91 Birch Avenue’s front door is flanked on its west by one, single, one-over-one, double-hung sash window and 93 Birch Avenue’s front door is flanked on its east by one, single, one-over-one, double-hung sash window. On the second floor, there are two, single, one- over-one, double-hung sash windows, one in the middle of 91’s façade and on in the middle of 93’s façade.

There is a two-story, stuccoed addition to the north (rear) elevation of this twin.


HISTORY

Built

1920

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1930. Historic maps and Sanborn Atlases show a vacant parcel in this location as late as 1918. [The historic atlas of 1930 does not cover Birch Avenue.] The house first appears on the historic aerial of 1940 and appears on all subsequent historic aerials.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
South and west elevations


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.