Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   John Street

STREET INFORMATION

Name

John Street

Laid out

1800

Last Entry Update

11/1/2015


DESCRIPTION

Note: Information regarding streetscapes is based a streetscape inventory conducted in 1980 with information placed on the NJ Historical Commission's Streetscape Inventory Forms. Pertinent information - description, history, number of resources, etc. was revised based on the 2015 survey of Witherspoon-Jackson neighborhood resulting in the information below. Numbers such as "1109-7-S13" refer to the individual 1980 Streetscape forms.

John Street - 1109-7-S7 (revised 2015)

John Street serves as the western boundary of the Witherspoon Street neighborhood between Paul Robeson Place and Leigh Avenue. From Green to Clay the side streets that extend westerly from Witherspoon all terminate at John Street, and no other through streets extend westerly from there. John Street is narrow, carrying only northbound one-way traffic, and the houses along it date chiefly from the middle to late 19th century and present a mixture of styles. The streetscape consists of 2 and 2½ story houses on small lots, gables generally parallel to the street. The best way to approach this neighborhood is from Chambers Street or Paul Robeson Place. This area, at the northern end of John Street, has been landscaped with the construction of Paul Robeson Place creating a shady and pleasant entrance. The crosswalks with Green Street near this location here are brick, creating a very orderly appearance at the 3-way intersection framed by Dorothea House to the west. The First Baptist Church on the east side and Dorothea’s House on the west side define this corner. As one moves north, the street slopes gradually down to Leigh and Birch Avenues, with mainly residential construction the entire length. For the most part, the buildings here are well-kept.

Moving northward from Green Street, Nos. 124-28 is a mixed-use building, #125, for example, retains its original porch. The residences on the west side of John Street between Green and Quarry Streets are some of the neighborhood’s most dense construction. Full-width porches are common along the fronts of these buildings, though in some cases new materials have been substituted. Nos. 146-48, 150-52, and 154-56 are all double houses of the mid-19th century construction. Nos. 155, 161, and 165 are 3-bay houses, also of the mid-19th century construction, of varying setbacks.

A few houses exhibit minor Italianate details, but most houses here have lost some or most of their original façade material (most exhibit aluminum or vinyl siding, with replacement windows). Margerum Court extends from John Street to the westerly from John Street just north of the intersection of John and Quarry (see form 1109-7-S12), essentially acting as a private driveway. On the southeast corner of John and Maclean Streets stands the 3-story Masonic Temple, soon to be converted into apartments. At the northeast corner of Lytle Street is Mary Moss Park, a small community playground with a wading pool. A former basketball court at the northeast corner of John and Clay Streets, and noted on the 1980 streetscape form for John Street, now consists of townhouses. The two- story units face John Street. John Street terminates at Community Park, north of Birch Avenue.

Approximate number of buildings: 56 in 2015; 60 in 1980


HISTORY


LINKS

 


UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTOGRAPHS


2015 Photo
John Street, facing north from Quarry Street


2015 Photo
John Street, facing south from Quarry Street


2015 Photo
John Street, facing north from Margerum Court


2015 Photo
John Street, facing south from Maclean Street


2015 Photo
John Street, facing south from Leigh Avenue


2015 Photo
John Street, facing north from Green Street


2015 Photo
John Street, facing north from Leigh Avenue


HISTORIC PROPERTIES

229 John Street (rear)
Dorothea House, 120 John Street
122 John Street (vacant), 122 John Street
122 John Street (vacant), 122 John Street
123 John Street
124-126 John Street
125 John Street
130 John Street
131 John Street
132 John Street
135 John Street (rear), 135 John Street
135 John Street
138 John Street
Jimmy Mack's Barber Shop, 141 John Street
143 John Street
144 John Street
145 John Street
146-148 JOHN STREET
150 JOHN STREET
151 John Street
152 JOHN STREET
154-156 JOHN STREET
155 John Street
158-160 JOHN STREET
159 JOHN STREET
161 JOHN STREET
162 John Street
165 JOHN STREET
166 John St
167 JOHN ST
168 John St
169 JOHN ST
171 JOHN STREET
173-175 JOHN ST
180 John St
Charcoal Inn, 182-184 John St
189-191 JOHN ST
190 John St
194 John Street
195-197 JOHN STREET
196-198 John St
199-201 JOHN ST
200 John Street
204 JOHN ST
207 JOHN ST
208 John Street (vacant), 208 John St
212 John St
216 John St
220 JOHN ST
224 JOHN ST
226 JOHN ST
227 John Street
229 John Street (rear)
229 JOHN ST
231 JOHN ST
232 John Street
235 John Street
238 John Street
240 John Street
242 John Street
244 John Street
246 John Street
248 John Street
250 John Street
252 John Street
254 John Street
256 John Street
258 John Street
260 John Street
298 John Street
300-302 JOHN ST


All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.