Note: Information regarding streetscapes is based a streetscape
inventory conducted in 1980 with information placed on the NJ
Historical Commission's Streetscape Inventory Forms. Pertinent
description, history, number of resources, etc. was revised based on
2015 survey of Witherspoon-Jackson neighborhood resulting in the
information below. Numbers such as "1109-7-S13" refer to the individual
1980 Streetscape forms.
Green Street – 1109-7-S6 (revised 2015)
Greater width and more trees characterize Green Street and make this
street different from neighboring streets to the north. Through the
first half of the 10th century, Green Street and Jackson Street, its
street to the south (obliterated when Palmer Square was completed),
the oldest streets in this enclave. For the most part, the buildings
After Witherspoon, Green displays the oldest houses, with roughly 70%
predating 1880. More than any other street in this neighborhood, Green
Street possesses the small town ambiance which must have been common in
Princeton over 100 years ago. There are a few vernacular Greek Revival,
3-bay, 2-story houses with added porches, and a mixture of buildings
the 1800s – 3 bays, 2½ stories, gable ends facing the street. While
buildings have lost their original surface materials, one retains its
ornate porch brackets (# 14). The street is lined with mature trees.
Sidewalks line both sides of the street, approximately 3 feet from the
curb. The houses are set back from the sidewalk another 3-4 feet, thus
approximately 10-12 feet from the street. The rhythm of the street is
broken by houses having double lots such as #s 14-16 and 25-29.
variety exists here than on any other street in the neighborhood, and
buildings are well maintained. The majority are single-family houses.
western vista is closed by Dorothea House, a settlement house for
in the Princeton area, a stucco 2-story building built in 1913. The
crosswalks here are brick, creating a very orderly appearance at this
3-way intersection framed by Dorothea House to the west. The
former “Colored Y” is located at the opposite end of the street;
the building was rehabilitated as the Princeton Performing Arts Center.
the past few years and at the time of this writing , there have
demolitions that have resulted in new construction, architectural
of which vary in degrees of sensitivity with adjacent buildings and the
overall existing streetscape setting. These demolitions and new construction continued during the 2015 survey.
Approximate number of buildings: 19 in 2015; 21 in 1980