Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   Lytle Street

STREET INFORMATION

Name

Lytle Street

Laid out

1875

Last Entry Update

11/1/2015


DESCRIPTION

Note: Information regarding streetscapes is based a streetscape inventory conducted in 1980 with information placed on the NJ Historical Commission's Streetscape Inventory Forms. Pertinent information - description, history, number of resources, etc. was revised based on the 2015 survey of Witherspoon-Jackson neighborhood resulting in the information below. Numbers such as "1109-7-S13" refer to the individual 1980 Streetscape forms.

Lytle Street – 1109-7-S10

Like Green and Quarry, Lytle was laid out c. 1875 and mostly built-out by 1895 (Sanborn). Today it may be one of the most changed streets in Witherspoon-Jackson, as several houses have been removed, new, larger and more eclectic ones constructed, and others modified. Though like most cross streets in Witherspoon-Jackson it mainly contains single family homes, at one time Lytle’s buildings offered several other uses. As late as 1980 there was an American Legion Post, a liquor store (founded in 1933) and a bar in mid-block. Today the street contains a mixture of single and multi-family residences. Most singles are small, frame, 2-story residences with front-end gabled roofs. Many but not all, have and full- length front porches. Perhaps due to age there is more variety of styles here, as well as materials. Most are well maintained. As of 1980 75% had either aluminum, asbestos, or some other artificial siding over the original clapboard or shingles, and many have lost other architectural details, according to the 1980 survey. A vacant lot between #22 and #26 is now used as a parking lot in 1988 is now a multi-family house, as is 16-18 Lytle Street. The design of both new buildings does not appear to be sensitive to the historic streetscape. The one-way street is narrow and trees line the curb on both sides near the sidewalks.

The street was named for William Lytle, the surveyor. Due to its narrowness, the street is one way. Houses here are set closer to the street, with some porch steps opening to the sidewalk.

Less consistent than those found on other streets in the neighborhood in materials, setback or scale, they are primarily owner occupied and well- maintained, other uses (or former uses) exists as well. This includes the American Legion Post building.

Approximate number of buildings: 24 in 2015; uncounted in 1980


HISTORY

The street was named for William Lytle, the surveyor.


LINKS

 


UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTOGRAPHS


2015 Photo
Lytle Street, east end, facing west


HISTORIC PROPERTIES

3-5 Lytle Street
7 Lytle Street
9 Lytle Street
10 Lytle Street
11 Lytle Street
12 Lytle Street (vacant)
13 Lytle Street
13-1/2 Lytle Street
15-17 Lytle Street
16-18 Lytle Street
19 Lytle Street
20-24 Lytle Street
21 Lytle Street
23 Lytle Street (vacant)
25 Lytle Street
26 Lytle Street
27 Lytle Street
American Legion, 28 Lytle Street
29 Lytle Street
30 Lytle Street
31 Lytle Street (vacant)
32 Lytle Street
33-33 1/2 Lytle Street
Mary Moss Park, 35 Lytle Street


All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.