Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   Leigh Avenue

STREET INFORMATION

Name

Leigh Avenue

Laid out

1905

Last Entry Update

11/1/2015


DESCRIPTION

Note: Information regarding streetscapes is based a streetscape inventory conducted in 1980 with information placed on the NJ Historical Commission's Streetscape Inventory Forms. Pertinent information - description, history, number of resources, etc. was revised based on the 2015 survey of Witherspoon-Jackson neighborhood resulting in the information below. Numbers such as "1109-7-S13" refer to the individual 1980 Streetscape forms.

Leigh Avenue (between Witherspoon and John Streets) - 1109-7-S8 (revised 2015)

This flat street was laid c. 1900, however Albert Leigh’s slaughter house, on the north side of the street, was located there thru the first decade of the 20th century, but by 1918 (Sanborn), several of the buildings had been taken down and several dwelling units line the street. The street is mostly shaded by medium-sized deciduous trees. It connects Witherspoon to Bayard Lane to the west; this section describes the eastern portion between Witherspoon and John Street. Mainly residential, the avenue’s houses are further from the curb (12-15’) than other parts of the Witherspoon-Jackson area. For the most part, the buildings here are well- kept. For the most part, the block between Witherspoon and John Streets is lined on either side by small, mainly vernacular early 20th century houses. Most dwellings are front end gabled and situated on small town lots. Lots on the southern side of the avenue are raised slightly so that flights of steps are necessary to reach for the floor and porch from grade. These steps create a visual rhythm along that side of the avenue. Most buildings here are clad in aluminum or vinyl siding; the 1980 streetscape survey indicated that many of the dwellings in this location exhibited a typical pattern of shingles from the top of the gable down to the first floor, which was clad in clapboard siding. One example that still exhibits this is 23 Leigh, constructed between 1911 and 1918. Nearly every one of these build buildings have a full width front porch. Most of the houses are single family dwellings, except #14-16, a four-family double house. Number 17 is an except, the formerly one-story, red brick building (1980 survey) is now two stories; it was considered a noncontributing resource then and now. Compared to other streets in this neighborhood, Leigh Avenue houses retain more of their original cladding – about 70% overall (1980 survey); this this percentage has been greatly reduced in the ensuing 35 years. The majority of dwellings is vernacular or influenced by the Colonial Revival style. Leigh Avenue might be considered more intact than the others in the neighborhood, probably because it was cut through at a later time.

Leigh Avenue contains a small commercial area at John Street with buildings constructed in the first decades of the 1900s. In 2015, most wer occupied by a handful of small stores and restaurants (all but one was empty as noted in the 1980 survey).

Approximate number of buildings: 27 in 2015; 27 in 1980

Leigh Avenue (between John Street and Bayard Lane) - 1109-7-S9 (revised 2015) 2015)

This flat street was laid c. 1900, however Albert Leigh’s slaughter house, on th on the north side of the street, was located there thru the first decade of th of the 20th century, but by 1918 (Sanborn), several of the business’s build buildings had been taken down and several dwelling units line the street. The a The avenue is mostly shaded by medium-sized deciduous trees (it is rather uneve uneven on the north side in places). Leigh Avenue connects Witherspoon to Bayar Bayard Lane to the west; this section describes the western between John Stree Street and Bayard Lane. Mainly residential, the avenue’s houses are furth further from the curb (12-15’) than other parts of the Witherspoon-Jackson area. area. For the most part, the buildings here are well-kept.

This portion of Leigh Avenue (as well as Birch Avenue) contains some of the the Witherspoon-Jackson neighborhood’s newer dwellings. Aside from a very few few houses, most on the south side of the 100 block, houses here were cons constructed after World War I ended in 1918 (Sanborn). The majority were in p in place by 1930. The three-block long section is lined by 2 ½ story resi residences mainly 2 or 3 bays wide, with front-end gable roofs. The most nota notable architecture here is Nos. 100-04, a 5-unit, 2-story frame rowhouse comp complex with a flat roof and dating to c. 1900 and possessing original feat features. No. 107 is a fine 2 ½-story, front-end gabled house with orig original wood shingle (upper floor and gable) and clapboard cladding (fir (first floor).

The majority of the houses elsewhere on the avenue exhibit front-end gab gabled or gambled roofs, full-width porches, and replacement siding and win window materials. Most are single-family residences, 2-family and multi-fam family, such as the aforementioned rowhouses, also exist. Princeton Nur Nursery School stands at Nos. 82-84 Leigh Avenue. At the far west end of the the avenue is a new commercial building; its siting, modern style, mas massing, materials and scale contrast to the small-scale residences found els elsewhere along the avenue.

Approximate number of buildings: 51 in 2015; 50 in 1980


HISTORY

This flat street was laid c. 1900, however Albert Leigh’s slaughter house, on the north side of the street, was located there thru the first decade of the 20th century, but by 1918 (Sanborn), several of the buildings had been taken down and several dwelling units line the street.


LINKS

 


UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTOGRAPHS


2015 Photo
Leigh Avenue, facing west.


2015 Photo
Leigh Avenue, facing east from Race Street


2015 Photo
Leigh Avenue, facing west from Race Street


2015 Photo
Leigh Avenue, facing west from John Street


2015 Photo
Leigh Avenue, facing east from John Street


HISTORIC PROPERTIES

7 Leigh Avenue
11 Leigh Avenue
12 Leigh Avenue
13 Leigh Avenue
14 Leigh Avenue
15-15 1/2 Leigh Avenue
16 Leigh Avenue
17 Leigh Avenue
18 Leigh Avenue
19 Leigh Avenue
20 Leigh Avenue
21 Leigh Avenue
22 Leigh Avenue
23 Leigh Avenue
24 Leigh Avenue
25 Leigh Avenue
26 1/2 Leigh Avenue
26 Leigh Avenue
27 Leigh Avenue
28 Leigh Avenue
29 Leigh Avenue
30 Leigh Avenue
31 Leigh Avenue
32 Leigh Avenue (vacant), 32 Leigh Avenue
32 LEIGH AVE
33 Leigh Avenue
34 Leigh Avenue
35 Leigh Avenue
37 Leigh Avenue
39-41 Leigh Avenue
42 Leigh Avenue
43-45 Leigh Avenue
44 Leigh Avenue
47 Leigh Avenue
Baldino's Grocery, 48 Leigh Avenue
51 Leigh Avenue
52A+B Leigh Avenue
54 Leigh Avenue
55 Leigh Avenue (vacant), 55 Leigh Avenue
56 Leigh Avenue
57 Leigh Avenue
58 LEIGH AVE
59 Leigh Avenue (vacant), 59 Leigh Avenue
60 LEIGH AVE
61 Leigh Avenue
62 Leigh Avenue
63 Leigh Avenue
64 LEIGH AVE
65 Leigh Avenue
66 LEIGH AVE
67 Leigh Avenue
69 Leigh Avenue
70 Leigh Avenue
71 Leigh Avenue
73-75 Leigh Avenue (vacant), 73-75 Leigh Avenue
74 Leigh Avenue
76 Leigh Avenue
77 Leigh Avenue
Princeton Nursery School, 78 Leigh Avenue
79-81 Leigh Avenue
Princeton Nursery School, 80 Leigh Avenue
82 Leigh Avenue
84 1/2 Leigh Avenue
85 Leigh Avenue
86 Leigh Avenue
87 Leigh Avenue
88 Leigh Avenue (vacant), 88 Leigh Avenue
90 Leigh Avenue
91 Leigh Avenue
92 Leigh Avenue
93 Leigh Avenue
94 Leigh Avenue
95 Leigh Avenue
96 Leigh Avenue
97 Leigh Avenue
98 Leigh Avenue
99 Leigh Avenue
100 Leigh Ave
101 Leigh Avenue
103 Leigh Avenue
105 Leigh Avenue
106 Leigh Avenue
107 Leigh Ave
108 Leigh Avenue
Garage, 109 Leigh Ave
110 Leigh Avenue
111 Leigh Avenue (vacant), 111 Leigh Ave
112-1/2 Leigh Avenue
112 Leigh Avenue
114 Leigh Avenue
116-116 1/2 Leigh Avenue
118-120 Leigh Avenue


All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.